[XeTeX] Greek Hyphenation (monotoniko)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jan 10 11:47:05 CET 2006

On 10 Jan 2006, at 9:29 am, Yves Codet wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Here is my homework, after Claudio Beccari's "grhyph.tex". I have
> tested it with "Daphnis and Chloe" (about 50 pages) and I have not
> noticed anything abnormal. My test file (extracted from the TLG
> with Diogenes) uses precomposed characters though; I must convert
> it into simple characters to see if hyphenation is still correct.

I was going to point out that if your test file uses precomposed
characters, a set of hyphenation patterns that use only decomposed
forms wouldn't match..... but then realized that the hyphen positions
are expressed only in terms of consonants, and so they should be
fine. :)

> Would you know of a tool which allows to do that (I do not feel
> like writing an endless list of commands :)?
>
> I am not sure my rules about diacritics are right. What I meant to
> do is, for instance, this:
> 	(1) 2<smooth breathing>1
> 	(2) 2<acute>1
> break after <smooth breathing>. In <a><smooth
> breathing><acute><xyz>, rule (2) cancels rule (1), allowing a break
> after <acute> but not before. Is it correct?

Yes, this sounds correct. Where multiple patterns match, the higher
digit at any given position takes precedence, so the "2" from rule
(2) overrides the "1" from rule (1).