[XeTeX] Greek Hyphenation (monotoniko)

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Mon Jan 9 14:33:35 CET 2006

Le 9 janv. 06, à 13:42, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

Hello.

I am trying my luck with Jonathan's exercise but I have a few questions
about it.

> * use U+02BC MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE for the apostrophe (elision),
> not ''

Should U+02BC be used instead of U+2019 in Greek?

Is coronis the same character as smooth breathing?

> * use U+2060 WORD JOINER as compound word mark, not the letter "v"

I thought "v" was for digamma in Claudio Beccari's file :) What is the
use of a compound word mark in Greek?

> One further issue to consider would be composed vs. decomposed text;
> this file uses precomposed letters for the vowels with tonos or
> dieresis, but these could also be encoded as sequences of vowel +
> diacritic. So additional rules should be included to recognize those
> forms as well. This is left as an exercise for the reader.... :-)

It is probably handier to encode them like that, unless your keyboard's
width is two meters (for ancient Greek at least). Yes, you could use
dead keys but it would take a while to create a layout. But my question
is: if breathings, accents, diaeresis and iota subscript are not
declared as letters (and they should not be, should they?), there is no
need of rules prohibiting break before them. Am I right?

I do not understand these rules:

% Initials with spirits
.<a2 .>a2 .<a|2 .>a|2 .<'a2 .>'a2 .<'a|2
.>'a|2 .<~a2 .>~a2 .<~a|2 .>~a|2
.<e2 .>e2 .<'e2 .>'e2
.<h2 .>h2 .<h|2 .>h|2 .<'h2 .>'h2 .<'h|2
.>'h|2 .<~h2 .>~h2 .<~h|2 .>~h|2
.<i2 .>i2 .<'i2 .>'i2
.<o2 .>o2 .<'o2 .>'o2
.<u2 .>u2 .<'u2 .>'u2
.<w2 .>w2 .<w|2 .>w|2 .<'w2 .>'w2 .<'w|2
.>'w|2 .<~w2 .>~w2 .<~w|2 .>~w|2

Why should we not break after an initial vowel (provided we do not
break after an apostrophe, which is taken care of elsewhere)?

Best wishes,

Yves