[XeTeX] xunicode for maths

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Feb 14 11:56:31 CET 2006

Le 14 févr. 06 à 01:27, Will Robertson a écrit :

> As you know, Ross Moore's excellent package xunicode provides macro
> names for a very large number of unicode characters. (Wait.
> Jonathan, do I need to call them "glyphs"? Sorry, anyway:)
>
> While XeTeX cannot currently handle maths characters using proper
> TeX techniques, it is still possible to obtain those glyphs in
> mathematics using amsmath's (and others') \text command. This was
> shown a long time ago (Sept. 2004) by Bruno Voisin.

Unfortunately, though I've still interest in the matter, I've had to
drop most of my TeX-related activities a few months back due to lack
of time and assorted problems. It's nice that, thanks to you, the
idea is carried (much) further.

> I would like to propose a xunicode-like package to provide for
> mapping macros to unicode maths glyphs, for two reasons:
>  - It allows us to experiment with existing methods, to see how far
> we can stretch XeTeX's current interface to deal with unicode maths;
>  - At a later date, it provides the groundwork for a proper
> solution, provided the implementation now is well conceived.
>
> Please find attached a .dtx file that can be compiled with XeTeX
> +LaTeX (you must have Code2001 installed, the only freely available
> font I know that contains unicode maths characters). It provides a
> skeleton of what a unicode maths package might become.

When LaTeXing the .dtx file, I get:

! LaTeX Error: File `refstyle.sty' not found.

> Right now I am interested in comments and tentative volunteers for
> adding in the rest of the symbols. I've CC-ed this to Chris Rowley:
> are you on the XeTeX mailing list?

Keep up the good work!

Bruno