[XeTeX] ednotes with ArabXeTeX: sample

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Wed Dec 13 23:14:51 CET 2006

Dear all,

In a previous thread concerning ArabXeTeX, Anas Ghrab asked whether it
could be possible to have "a small example of ArabXeTeX with ednotes". I
apologize for the delay, but I can finally fulfill his request.

Since I don't think a simple example would be very useful, I have
prepared a more or less "real-life example" instead, which displays the
critical edition of a 9th-century Arabic text, with variant apparatus
(set from right to left), an additional apparatus that compares it with
its medieval Latin translation, and a third level for standard footnotes.

The source file can be downloaded from
http://ankabut.net/xetex/ednotes_example.tex or can be seen more legibly
(i.e., as it is displayed in my vim editor with syntax highlighting) at
http://ankabut.net/xetex/ednotes_example.tex.html. The PDF output is
likewise at http://ankabut.net/xetex/ednotes_example.pdf. Note that this
should not be considered "best practice" for this type of typesetting. I
simply make it available to illustrate some interesting techniques,
especially since the ednotes documentation is not really appropriate for
a "quick start". This may also be considered an attempt to demonstrate
ArabXeTeX's possible usefulness :-)

Comments are of course more than welcome.

Hope this helps!

François