[XeTeX] Θέμα: Re: OpenType ligatures

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Dec 4 11:54:17 CET 2006

On 4 Dec 2006, at 10:22 am, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> --- Adam Twardoch <list.adam at twardoch.com> έγραψε:
>

>> feature hist {
>>   ignore sub @TEXT g' a' r';
>>   ignore sub g' a' r' @TEXT;
>>   sub g' a' r' by g_a_r;
>> } hist;
>>
>> (provided that @TEXT is a class that includes all
>> textual/printable  glyphs except space).
>
> I contacted George Williams, the creator of FontForge,
> and explaoined to me how to implement this feature.
> Indeed, it worked well with gedit, but it was a total
> failure with XeTeX. This means that XeTeX somehow
> cannot handle contextual substitutions.

XeTeX does handle contextual substitutions. It's possible that there
are bugs or limitations, of course, but in general it does support
them, and I have seen it work correctly with some very complex
contextual OpenType fonts.

For xetex to apply the feature, you need to ensure that the script
tag in the \font declaration matches the font you're using; otherwise
the feature will not be applied. (The default in xetex is to use the
latin script OpenType features.) Are you specifying
"....:script=grek" in the \font declaration (or [Script=Greek], if
using fontspec with xelatex)?