[XeTeX] OT: Arabic aspell

Musa Furber musaf_spamtrap at runbox.com
Fri Aug 25 12:20:53 CEST 2006

On 25 Aug 2006, at 12:55, musa furber wrote:

> I realise this is off topic, but I cannot think of too many lists
> with subscribers who use OS X, are terminal-prompt savvy, and are
> interesting in foreign language typesetting.
>
> There is an aspell package for Arabic at the following URL
>
> <http://www.ivrix.org.il/projects/arabic>
>
> I haven't tried it yet.

Looks like I wrote too soon. There is a newer dictionary in the
aspell dictionary collection:

<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/ar/aspell6-ar-1.2-0.tar.bz2>

I installed it through cocoSpell and tried it in TextEdit. Spell
checking the document does pull out misspelt words, though without a
squiggly red line for check-as-you-type. I didn't get it to suggest
any alternatives, though it sure takes a while looking for them.

It's still useful for careless typists like myself.

Musa