[XeTeX] Newbie troubles with XeTeX for Linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Aug 23 18:39:32 CEST 2006

On 23 Aug 2006, at 3:59 pm, Steven Shaviro wrote:

> I have installed the latest XeTeX binaries for Ubuntu Linux, and I
> ran sudo texhash after doing so, but I have been unable to get them
> to run. I have an up-to-date TeXLive installation of LaTeX.

Ah, that may well be the problem... the xetex binary packages are set
up for the teTeX installation, and TeXLive probably configures things
differently. In fact, I'm a bit surprised you're able to install the
binary packages, as I thought they would require teTeX -- or do you
mean that you compiled from source, and then installed the binaries
you built?

Where are the xetex binaries installed, and the main configuration
files? It might be helpful to see what is reported by:

   ls -l `which xetex`

   kpsewhich texmf.cnf
   kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf

   grep xetex `kpsewhich texmf.cnf`
   grep xetex `kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf`

I'm working towards properly integrating xetex with TeX Live, so that
configuration hassles should become much rarer, but as yet it's not
really part of the TL world.