[XeTeX] Strangeness with Minion Pro Opticals Small Caps

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Aug 21 10:11:08 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> writes:
> On 20 Aug 2006, at 11:42 pm, Peter Heslin wrote:
[...]
>> I'm puzzled that these give me bad results with small caps, while the
>> same fonts work for Ralf.

This is getting really odd.

> So am I.
>
> How about if you each create an MD5 checksum of your "MinionPro-
> Regular.otf:Version 2.012" fonts, so we can see whether they really
> are identical, or if there's some internal difference despite the
> matching version info?
>
> You're running on Windows, Peter - right? Any chance you can find a
> Linux or Mac OS machine to try the "problem" version of the font, so
> we can check whether it behaves the same on all platforms? (It
> should, but this is strange enough that I don't know what to suspect.)
>
> (And if you're installing the fonts, rather than using the new
> "[filename.otf]" method to load them directly from a known location,
> then please double- and triple-check to make absolutely sure there's
> no other copy installed somewhere, so that we're not necessarily
> testing the version we think!)

I am using installed fonts of Version 2.012 with:

$ fc-list "Minion Pro" file style family
/home/ralf/.fonts/MinionPro-BoldIt.otf: Minion Pro:style=Bold Italic
/home/ralf/.fonts/MinionPro-Regular.otf: Minion Pro:style=Regular
/home/ralf/.fonts/MinionPro-It.otf: Minion Pro:style=Italic
/home/ralf/.fonts/MinionPro-Bold.otf: Minion Pro:style=Bold
$ md5sum /home/ralf/.fonts/MinionPro-*.otf
2add7aacc114b40e570b1f136b21f51e  /home/ralf/.fonts/MinionPro-BoldIt.otf
7821ec5e9fc2182bc9178d9ddcff229a  /home/ralf/.fonts/MinionPro-Bold.otf
303ccee1fe4ebd333f8f38eabb3a24bb  /home/ralf/.fonts/MinionPro-It.otf
59392e91465be9455e4cb41427cdb7c9  /home/ralf/.fonts/MinionPro-Regular.otf

(With the above options fc-list would list multiple installed versions.)

I have seen some really odd glyph changing in other application with
older versions of freetype (currently XeTeX dynammically links against
the system installed version) and *Type 1* fonts with glyphnames
containing a period. This went away when I updated to freetype v2.2.1.
What version does Ubuntu Dapper use?

cheerio
ralf