[XeTeX] \reflectbox, \rotatebox and xdvipdfmx

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Aug 19 21:03:08 CEST 2006

On 19 Aug 2006, at 6:39 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> On 19 Aug 2006, at 3:25 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>>
>>> I have just tried to use \reflectbox and \rotatebox in a XeTeX
>>> document,
>>> but it seems that xdvipdfmx (in Linux) is not able to parse it.
>>
>> I think they should work if you use the [dvipdfm] driver with
>> graphicx.sty; or if you update xdvipdfmx to the latest SVN code, then
>> it should support the x:... specials that the default [xetex] driver
>> uses.
>
> Thanks, Jonathan and Ralf. It worked in both cases.
>
> I have also updated xetex to the lastest SVN code and I wonder how
> could
> I get the old kern table instead of GPOS kerning when using fontspec.

If there's no 'GPOS' table, but there is a 'kern' table, it will be
used automatically; there's no mechanism to control this yourself.
(In particular, "-kern" will *not* turn it off. These switches refer
only to OpenType feature tags.)

(Likewise, if there's an .afm file alongside an old Type 1 (.pfb)
font that you load through xetex (not with a .tfm), the kerning pairs
from the .afm will automatically be used.)