[XeTeX] xelatex not working

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Aug 9 20:36:03 CEST 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 6:59 pm, Joshua Grauman wrote:

> Ok, so I got past the xkeyval problem, and have another one ;)
>
> This is my error:
>
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/xelatex/xkeyval/keyval.tex)))
> fontspec.cfg loaded.
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/xelatex/fontspec/
> fontspec.cfg))
> (./Hebrew3.aux) [1] (./Hebrew3.aux) )
> (null) -> Hebrew3.pdf
> [1
> ** ERROR ** Unable to find TFM file "cmr10".

That's coming from xdvipdfmx, rather than xetex itself. Where is
xdvipdfmx installed? If it didn't end up in the same location as
other tex-related binaries, then it may not find the same
configuration files.

Note that some systems keep the binaries themselves in a platform-
specific directory under .../teTeX/bin/...., and place symlinks into /
usr/local/bin or similar; installing a program like xdvipdfmx
directly into /usr/local/bin may not work in this case, as it won't
find the same texmf.cnf. Try comparing the results of:
     ls -l `which xetex`
     ls -l `which xdvipdfmx`

(But I don't know how the Slackware packages are set up; this may not
be relevant.)