[XeTeX] Regular math font, fontspec & xmaths

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 08:10:48 CEST 2006

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the kind comments.

You wrote:
> Regarding fontspec, one remark/suggestion: the only thing that has
> prevented me from using fontspec regularly so far is the occasional
> changes in syntax, not always backwards-compatible. I generally want
> to be sure that I'll still be able to typeset my TeX documents in 5
> years, say, with no change in either the .tex input or .pdf output.

I'm definitely upset with the way I've handled backwards
compatibility. I do aim to minimise these sorts of things, but I'm
just kind of making it up as I go along -- which can cause naming
conflicts/inconsistencies down the track. I do try and maintain
backwards compatiblity as much as possible though fontspec.cfg, but
it's not always possible. I hope to have less changes in the future,
but I'm not guaranteeing absolute stability yet :(

The next release will most likely see \newfontinstance renamed to
\newfontfamily, but fontspec.cfg will include the line
\let\newfontinstance\newfontfamily so old documents will still work
fine.

Bear in mind that fonts themselves aren't always the most stable
things, too :) especially when Apple's involved. I understand your
dilemma, but as long as the *content* is still there, that's the big
part of it.

All the best,
Will