[XeTeX] Regular math font, fontspec & xmaths

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Aug 9 01:20:54 CEST 2006

Le 9 août 06 à 00:24, Will Robertson a écrit :

> My eventual goal for this package, which I hope to work on again soon,
> is the fontspec analogue for maths; it will handle setting up the
> fonts
> for maths characters, as well as handling getting things like getting
> \mathcal to work.
>
> So, no good news at present but stay tuned!

Will,

I'm always amazed by the persistence and skills you've exercized with
fontspec and now xmaths. Even if -- I think -- I took part in the
elaboration of the original ideas for these packages, I would never
have been able to turn them into packages, and especially to carry
fontspec where it is now, with all its elaborated functions for
OpenType fonts and non-roman scripts. Congrats!

Regarding fontspec, one remark/suggestion: the only thing that has
prevented me from using fontspec regularly so far is the occasional
changes in syntax, not always backwards-compatible. I generally want
to be sure that I'll still be able to typeset my TeX documents in 5
years, say, with no change in either the .tex input or .pdf output.

This is the same reason that makes me avoid using LaTeX packages,
other than the standard ones -- i.e. those contributed by members of
the LaTeX team --, as much as possible, because the non-standard ones
tend to live for only a couple of years, or to undergo significant
non-backward-compatible changes in syntax/functionality over time.

Bruno