[XeTeX] Xdv2pdf: usage of old TFM fonts?

Toralf Senger Senger at mpimp-golm.mpg.de
Tue Aug 1 12:54:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have been using XeTeX for W32 since it came out and I am quite
familiar with it by now. However, I installed it reacently on a new
Intel-MacBook and I don't know how to configure xdv2pdf when installing
legacy TeX fonts. A Xdv2pdf fails to find some some fonts when compiling
a xdv to a pdf, that compiles nicely on W32 using xdvipdfmx. It bombards
me with errors like this whe it encounters fonts like courier, mathpazo
or Nimbu-sans:

font pcrr8t not found in psfonts.map or host system; will substitute
Helvetica glyphs

I am pussled by this, because psfonts.map contains only maping
information for the 8r encoding (and not 8t), like
pcrr8r Courier " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
And this above line is present.

So my problem is, that I would like to use the fonts in psnfss and
mathpazo. I copied all the tfm,map etc files that come along with the
psnfss package to texmf.local. I entered 'sudo mktexlsr' on the terminal
and 'sudo texhash' (which does the same-just to be sure). I added
entries to updmap.cfg like 'Map psnfss.map' and typed 'updmap' on the
terminal. Still-xdv2pdf is not able to find them. I also downloaded the
newest xetex-source (revision 315) via SVN, compiled it (whithout any
problemst hanks to the nice build- and install skripts)---problem still
there. The last option I see is to compile xdvipdfmx and let this
program make the pdfs-like on w32.

I am out of ideas and would be very happy if one of you Mac-Cracks could
help someone who is entirely new the Mac-world.

TS