[XeTeX] Fwd: [OS X TeX] meaning of Warning

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Apr 26 10:32:58 CEST 2006

Le 26 avr. 06 à 02:33, Ross Moore a écrit :

> If XeTeX is to handle mathematics correctly, then there needs
> to be a replacement for  fontmath.ltx .
> But this requires not just knowing the Unicode locations of
> all the symbols used with the 'operators' designation,
> but also knowledge of sizes and widths for proper placement
> of super/sub-scripts and their use as left/right-delimiters.
>
> I don't think we are ready for this yet.

This would aldo require XeTeX to handle Unicode code points in math
fonts, by extending \mathchar, in the same way as it does for text
fonts by extending \char.

A temporary workaround has been initiated by Will Robertson's xmaths
package <http://www.mecheng.adelaide.edu.au/~will/>. I've installed
it but I haven't had time to test it really. The only thing I've
noticed is that, apparently, omitting the braces with single letter
subscripts and superscripts doesn't work any longer, whereas it works
in LaTeX. Namely, for example, $a_\mathrm{h}$ which works in LaTeX
doesn't work with xmaths.sty loaded; I suspect it needs to be coded
in the more correct way as $a_{\mathrm{h}}$. Probably a macro
expansion problem.

Bruno Voisin