[XeTeX] XeTeX and font specimens

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Mon Apr 24 20:58:17 CEST 2006

On Monday, April 24, 2006, at 11:00AM, William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com> wrote:

>I've gotten started with producing a font specimen book here at work
>and am using Stephen Moye's nifty TypeSpec Plain TeX macros from CTAN.
>
>It's working well (had to do a bit of bug-fixing on the files, copy-
>pasting some macros which seem to've been left out) but things are
>off to a good start. A couple of observations / queries:
>
>  - Stephen, would it be okay if I create a LaTeX version (a package
>or documentclass) of these files w/ a front-end that lets one easily
>plug in font names to generate samples?

By all means! That would be really wonderful.

>  - Should XeTeX be working with a font manager? I'm using Linotype's
>free FontExplorer X to activate fonts and it's mostly working
>(Bickham Script Pro Bold wouldn't work, but Regular and Semibold
>did). I thought there'd been discussion that this _wasn't_ supposed
>to work.

My 2¢: FEX has always worked like a charm for me. Some of the
earlier betas had some behavior problems, but that seems to be in
the past. Worth every penny. Question is, does it (can it) work under
Rosetta? How soon will there be a new version that works natively with
Intel Macs?