[XeTeX] Re: Can't find `xetex.fmt'

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Oct 27 13:33:46 CEST 2005

On 27 Oct 2005, at 12:13 pm, Laurie Field wrote:

> Dear Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for your advice. I have nothing in ~/Library/texmf/ at present.
> On running "fmtutil --byfmt xetex" in Terminal (fmtutil-sys apparently
> doesn't exist on my setup, even though it is the standard i-Installer
> TeX distribution)

Ah, this suggests that your TeX setup is not completely up-to-date.
Unless you have a specific reason to maintain an older setup, I'd
suggest updating to the most recent TeX i-Package, and then
reinstalling the XeTeX i-Package.

> I get the following:
>
> fmtutil: format `xetex' not available.
>
> On running the i-Installer package again, the top box in "subprocess
> outputs" looks fine (no errors, but the bottom contains the following
> (which is essentially the same I think):
>
> ### xetex.configure: updating TEXINPUTS.xelatex setting in
> /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
> ### xetex.configure:
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf already defines
> XeTeX formats.
> ### xetex.configure: checking for obsolete entries...
> fmtutil: format `xetex' not available.
> fmtutil: format `xelatex' not available.

It's also possible that it would help to run

     sudo fmtutil --enablefmt xetex

in Terminal, but I think it's better to update the whole TeX setup.