[XeTeX] Re: Can't find `xetex.fmt'

Laurie Field laurie.field at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:13:01 CEST 2005

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for your advice. I have nothing in ~/Library/texmf/ at present.
On running "fmtutil --byfmt xetex" in Terminal (fmtutil-sys apparently
doesn't exist on my setup, even though it is the standard i-Installer
TeX distribution) I get the following:

fmtutil: format `xetex' not available.

On running the i-Installer package again, the top box in "subprocess
outputs" looks fine (no errors, but the bottom contains the following
(which is essentially the same I think):

### xetex.configure: updating TEXINPUTS.xelatex setting in
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
### xetex.configure:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf already defines
XeTeX formats.
### xetex.configure: checking for obsolete entries...
fmtutil: format `xetex' not available.
fmtutil: format `xelatex' not available.

So it still seems broken. I'm not in any desperate rush to use the
software, but perhaps someone could think of why this might be
happening? These kind of hassles make it kind of difficult for you to
get XeTeX to a wider audience, apart from anything else. (Blame TeX's
ancient and arcane directory architecture!)

Thanks for your help; any further insights would be appreciated.

Cheers
Laurie