[XeTeX] Linebreak in Simplified Chinese

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Oct 22 11:42:30 CEST 2005

On 22 Oct 2005, at 12:03 am, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.10.2005 um 23:23 schrieb Jonathan Kew:
>

>>> 2) How can I let section heading into large bold faces?
>>>

>> You'll want a document class with large bold headings, or a
>> package that lets you adjust the formatting of headings; I don't
>> know LaTeX packages and can't suggest anything specific, but I'm
>> sure others can.
>>

> article is already the right LaTeX class to make section headers
> bold by default! It works with Latin scripts. I think that XeLaTeX
> can't find a bold variant for a Chinese font -- bold scripts is a
> typical Latin concept.

Ah, I was thinking the request was for "larger and bolder" than the
standard styles. But the problem is more likely the lack of a bold
face at all.

But even with a Chinese font that has Light and Bold faces, XeTeX may
well have trouble automatically making the right association. So use
the [BoldFont=...] option from fontspec to tell it what you want the
"bold" to be, whether a different weight of the same typeface, or
something else altogether.

E.g.,

     \setromanfont[BoldFont=Hei Regular]{Kai Regular}