[XeTeX] Linebreak in Simplified Chinese

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Oct 21 23:23:31 CEST 2005

On 21 Oct 2005, at 8:38 pm, Jim Dai wrote:

> I have two questions that are related to Simplified Chinese.
>
> 1) I find the linebreaks have a problem. Adding
> \XeTeXlinebreaklocale "en" solves most of the probelm, but
>  some lines still have
> zigzag endings. Change "en" to "zh-cn" does not help.
>  What else can I do here?

Certain inter-character breaks are not acceptable in Chinese text,
and so some lines may end up a character shorter than others. If you
don't want a ragged margin, then you need to introduce some
stretchability into the lines; you can do this with:

     \XeTeXlinebreakskip = 0pt plus 1pt

which allows a small amount of stretchability at each potential line-
break XeTeX finds.

> 2) How can I let section heading into large bold faces?

You'll want a document class with large bold headings, or a package
that lets you adjust the formatting of headings; I don't know LaTeX
packages and can't suggest anything specific, but I'm sure others can.