[XeTeX] Problems with crop package?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Oct 20 08:31:02 CEST 2005

Hi Stefano,

On 20/10/2005, at 3:37 PM, Stefano Franchi wrote:

> Hi Ross,
>
> thanks for the help,
>
> I am just a user and in spite of my repeated readings of the LaTeX
> companion I have absolutely no clues about what's going on in the
> lines from crop you reported above.

Crop-marks are not part of the logical contents of a document that you
write. Logically they might lie outside the scope of what you would
expect LaTeX to be able to do. Certainly crop marks lie outside the
normal area of the page that LaTeX controls

The correct way to think of crop-marks, and color-registration marks,
etc.  is as a property of the printing process. These are something
that you request when choosing how to print your job.

The  crop.sty  package is a hack that extends the page area, and tries
to draw such features. This is an approach that works with LaTeX,
when it
can use the full features of PostScript for drawing in arbitrary places.

However, that is not how XeTeX works, nor other sophisticated software
like Acrobat Pro and Apple's Print Manager, when they create PDF files.

Did you notice that there is no mention of XeTeX in the LaTeX
Companion ?
It's too new, and has some radical differences, to be in there yet.

> The XeTeX log has a section about geometry and crop that seems
> normal (appended below). The console window in TeXShop has the
> rather cryptic remark that may or may not be relevant.:
>
> [1] [2
> ### warning on page [1.0]: paper size "433.62pt,650.43pt" will take
> effect from NEXT page ] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]
> [13] [14] [15] [16] [17]
> [18] [19] [20]
>

> Anyway, I hope this helps people who know about these things. I
> will be looking into an alternative solution for crop marks.

Presumably you need crop-marks for a printed version only, so there's
no need for hyperlinking of any sort.

So one way that might work would be to process your document with XeTeX,
without any thought of crop-marks at all (at this stage).

Next write a 2nd LaTeX job, to be processed with pdfLaTeX, that
simply reads
each page of XeTeX's output, placing it as a graphic image.
This is something that is very easy to do using the {pdfpages}  package.
Also \usepackage{crop} with this job, to get your crop-marks.

Since you cannot have hyperlinks within imported images, you will lose
that feature --- but that shouldn't be an issue for a print-job.

> Cheers,
>
> Stefano
>
> Section of Log file:
>
> -------------------- Geometry parameters
> paper: user defined
> landscape: --
> twocolumn: --
> twoside: true
> asymmetric: --
> h-parts: 54.2025pt, 325.215pt, 54.2025pt
> v-parts: 54.2025pt, 542.025pt, 54.2025pt
> hmarginratio: 1:1
> vmarginratio: 1:1
> lines: --
> heightrounded: true
> bindingoffset: 0.0pt
> truedimen: --
> includehead: true
> includefoot: --
> includemp: --
> driver: dvipdfm
> -------------------- Page layout dimensions and switches
> \paperwidth  433.62pt
> \paperheight 650.43pt
> \textwidth  325.215pt
> \textheight 514.0pt
> \oddsidemargin  -18.06749pt
> \evensidemargin -18.06749pt
> \topmargin  -18.06749pt
> \headheight 15.0pt
> \headsep    18.0pt
> \footskip   42.0pt
> \marginparwidth 115.1803pt
> \marginparsep   12.8401pt
> \columnsep  10.0pt
> \skip\footins  9.0pt plus 4.0pt minus 2.0pt
> \hoffset 0.0pt
> \voffset 0.0pt
> \mag 1000
> \@twosidetrue \@mparswitchtrue
> (1in=72.27pt, 1cm=28.45pt)
> -----------------------
> Package crop Info: requested driver: `' on input line 95.
> Package crop Info: detected driver: `xetex' on input line 95.

For this approach to work, there needs to be a way
of having the  dvipdfm  driver being used here.
But even that may not be enough.

Besides, I think that this is quite the wrong approach,
as discussed above.

I wonder if Jonathan can add it to his "request for features".

Cheers,

     Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au