[XeTeX] Problems with crop package?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Oct 20 03:32:44 CEST 2005

Hello Stefano,

On 20/10/2005, at 9:54 AM, Stefano Franchi wrote:

> To format my manuscript as per the press spec I have these two lines:
>

> \usepackage
> [paperwidth=6in,paperheight=9in,includehead,width=4.5in,height=7.5in,c
> entering,heightrounded]{geometry}
> \usepackage[frame,center,width=8.5in,height=11in]{crop}
>
> They work fine in plain LaTeX. However XeTex goes berserk and gives
> me pages containing about a 3/4  of what they should be---typically
> the upper-left fourth. The remainder is cut off the page.  If I
> comment out the \usepackage{crop} I get the whole page back.

Almost certainly the crop package is using \special commands that XeTeX
doesn't support yet.

Can you say what messages occur in the Log window ?

e.g.  crop.sty has some coding:

\newcommand*\CROP at setps{%
     \ifx\Gin at PS@raw\@undefined
         \PackageWarning{crop}{internal PostScript interface used}%
         \newcommand*\CROP at ps[1]{\special{ps: ##1}}%
     \else
         \PackageInfo{crop}{graphics/color PostScript interface used}{}%
         \let\CROP at ps\Gin at PS@raw
     \fi
     \let\CROP at setps\relax
}

The  "internal PostScript interface"  certainly is not supported by
XeTeX.

For the  "graphics/color PostScript interface"  then XeTeX will need
the  dvipdfm  driver interface.
I doubt that this is actually what gets loaded, in this case.

For Jonathan:
Is there a better way to implement crop-marks with XeTeX ?
Is there an Apple interface that could be used, instead of using raw
drawing commands ?

Doesn't the Mac OS X "Print" dialog give options to generating crop,
registration, bleeding marks, etc.  An interface to this is what
really should be used.

Hope this helps,

     Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au