[XeTeX] Comic Sans and mboxes in xelatex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 13 21:54:28 CEST 2005

On Oct 13, 2005, at 2:24 PM, nachman wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I use Comic Sans at 24.88pt in XeLaTeX in conjunction with Keynote
> for math lectures.  I use Comic Sans in math expressions like
>
>     $\vec{\mbox{n}} = (a,b)$ or  ${\stackrel{\longleftrightarrow}
> {\mbox{AB}}}$
>
> Overlines and underlines are always way too high or to low.  It
> seems that the mbox for this and similar fonts has a lot of extra
> vertical space.  Is there a (relatively) simple way to get rid of
> the space above the letters so that vector smybols, etc., hug the
> top of the charcters as in plain vanilla LaTeX?
>
> Jack Nachman

Howdy,

You might consider the Informal Math Fonts by Micro-Press, <http://
www.micropress-inc.com/fonts.htm>, although they have to bee
purchased. They might look a bit better with the (slightly) less
informal Chalkboard but that font is really pretty close to Comic
Sans without some of the random tilt. Unfortunately, they are not
free. Works great with LaTeXiT to make equations.

I do wish Keynote had the ability to deal with in-line graphics (like
equations) like Pages does. I'm still waiting for a LinkBack Plugin
for Pages so baselines are understood.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)