[XeTeX] Comic Sans and mboxes in xelatex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Oct 13 21:40:04 CEST 2005

On 13 Oct 2005, at 8:24 pm, nachman wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I use Comic Sans at 24.88pt in XeLaTeX in conjunction with Keynote
> for math lectures.  I use Comic Sans in math expressions like
>
>     $\vec{\mbox{n}} = (a,b)$ or  ${\stackrel{\longleftrightarrow}
> {\mbox{AB}}}$
>
> Overlines and underlines are always way too high or to low.  It
> seems that the mbox for this and similar fonts has a lot of extra
> vertical space.  Is there a (relatively) simple way to get rid of
> the space above the letters so that vector smybols, etc., hug the
> top of the charcters as in plain vanilla LaTeX?

No, not really -- sorry!

The reason is that fonts used directly from the operating system
don't provide per-glyph height and depth information -- TeX normally
gets this from .tfm files. All XeTeX knows is the overall "ascent"
and "descent" of the font, which are typically large enough to leave
room for ascenders/descenders, accents over capital letters, and
perhaps a little extra -- depending on the choices made by the font
designer.

Basically, as mentioned in the (sketchy, I admit!) notes on XeTeX
that are available, math typesetting still requires TFM-based fonts;
the precise metric information that's needed simply isn't provided by
other fonts. You can manually tweak positioning with various TeX
commands, if you really want to, but the magic that math mode
performs to make everything automatically look good just isn't going
to happen.