[XeTeX] TECKit warnings

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Wed Nov 30 06:18:19 CET 2005

On 29/11/2005, at 20:39 , Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Currently, feature settings that aren't available in the font get
> reported only in the log, not to the console; so that would be the
> natural thing to do for the mapping as well. However, you're right,
> there's no message at the moment. That should be fixed.
>
> Should these messages appear on the console as well as the log
> file? When I originally did them, I was thinking of them as
> comparable to the "missing character" messages TeX issues, which go
> only to the log. But maybe that was a bad choice.

I don't mind missing font features being reported in the log only,
but mappings involve loading an extra file, so I don't know if the
situation is entirely analogous.

Failing without warning in XeTeX is much better than pdfTeX's
tendency to crash hard for things like not being able to load a PDF
correctly!

Doesn't TeX have switches for how much information is reported on the
log/console? If so, that would be my preference, but if not, I'd keep
it in the log file. I reckon too much information is spat into the
console output as it stands...

Will