[XeTeX] Images in LTR text

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Nov 7 19:21:49 CET 2005

On 7 Nov 2005, at 10:46 am, musa furber wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2005, at 3:49 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>

>> [...]
>> You should be able to avoid the issue by surrounding the image
>> with \beginL...\endL, so that XeTeX knows it is a left-to-right
>> segment.
>> [...]
>>

> Is there a way that I can check the current text's directionality?
> If so, this would save me keeping two sets of macros, one ending
> with 'e' (English) and the other with 'a' (Arabic).

I can't think of an easy way to check this, offhand.

But I'm not sure you need to know, anyhow. When I tried embedding an
image with \XeTeXpicfile within RTL text, it worked fine if I marked
the image as an LTR run using \beginL ... \endL. And if the
surrounding text were left-to-right, this should be harmless. In
other words, I think you can safely include these direction tags in
your image macro, and use them within either LTR or RTL contexts.