[XeTeX] access to composite characters

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Nov 3 02:16:46 CET 2005

02/11/2005, 9pm - Malte Rosenau wrote:

> In T1 font encoding this letter was usually faked (unless it was
> available
> in the font) via \d{h} (and in utf8x.sty mapped to \d{h}). If I
> understand
> xunicode.sty correctly \d{h} points now to an empty unicode slot in
> my font
> which produces this strange boxshaped character in my document. How
> can I
> declare my own composite letter?

If you're using xunicode for other things, then I guess all you want
to do is override \d{} in those cases you wish to use it.

T1's definition of it is:
   \DeclareTextCommand{\d}{T1}[1]
     {\hmode at bgroup
      \o at lign{\relax#1\crcr\hidewidth\sh at ft{10}.\hidewidth}\egroup}

So, all you need to do is coerce this definition to your requirements.
You could therefore do something like:
   \makeatletter
   \def\dh{\hmode at bgroup
      \o at lign{\relax h\crcr\hidewidth\sh at ft{10}.\hidewidth}\egroup}
   \makeatother

(untested)

Remember, XeTeX is just TeX with some extra stuff, so the ways of
doing things in LaTeX are still valid. If you are using legacy fonts
to typeset what should be present in unicode, then the only way to do
it is via these old techniques.

Hope this helps,

Will