[XeTeX] xetex freezing after tiger update

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon May 9 20:05:25 CEST 2005

On 9 May 2005, at 6:11 pm, Robert Voogdgeert wrote:

> Dear Jonathan (and others),
>

> After the update to Tiger. The same document that was typeset ok in
> macos 10.4 now
> quits at page 76. I don't see any reason why because there's nothing
> on this page
> that didn't also occur on page preceding page 76.
>
> In the terminal I don't receive any message. XeTeX just seems to
> freeze, or rather
> stop. This is what the `top' command in the terminal gives for xetex
> after it
> freezes:
>
> 482 xetex       92.4%  1:27.79   1    34   315  26.4M+ 10.8M  21.0M+
> 210
>
> It's clear that it still uses a lot of CPU.
>
> Did anyone also experience this problem.

I haven't seen anything like this.... but it's also true that I haven't
moved my main working environment to Tiger yet, so my experience is
pretty limited.

Can you try deleting the first 70 or so pages from the source, and see
if it still hangs at the same place? And if there's a lot more to come,
try deleting most of that too, so as to get it down to a sample of just
a few pages.

If it still has problems, I'd be interested in seeing the excerpt that
fails, provided it's something you can send me (and if it doesn't
require proprietary fonts, etc., that I wouldn't have). With xetex
stalled and still using 90%+ CPU, it sounds like it's in a tight loop
somewhere, and I'd like to track that down and figure out what's
happening.

Thanks,

Jonathan