[XeTeX] doc/samples available via i-Installer

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Mar 14 11:18:59 CET 2005

Le 14 mars 05, à 10:27, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> What I'd like to do, I think, would be to make the i-Package for
> documentation and samples *always* prompt the user to choose a
> destination folder. Currently, there's a default location set by the
> package, and my guess is that few i-Installer users even realize that
> it's possible to click a button and change it. I'd like the i-Package
> to be able to specify that clicking the "Install" button always brings
> up the "change install location" sheet before proceeding.
>
> If I can find time, I'll try to find out whether i-Installer can be
> made to do this--or if Gerben is listening, perhaps he can comment and
> save me the trouble!
>
> Or is it a lousy idea in the first place?

It's probably a bit unfair for me to speak again about this topic,
given I've already expressed an opinion earlier. Anyway...

I'm not sure it's a good idea to introduce an additional i-Package (or
Download) for the XeTeX documentation and samples. The sizes involved
are not so big; thus, why not include the documentation and samples
inside the main XeTeX i-package or .pkg (or .dmg) file?

Then a possible scenario would be the following:

- Inside the ReadMe files displayed during either install (ie, via
i-Installer or Apple Installer) of this "enhanced" XeTeX, mention
explicitly the (default) location where the documentation and samples
are put.

- Ideally, save the appropriate ReadMe file on disk. (Where: I don't
know.) I'm the kind of person who reads no more than the first 10 lines
or so of any text displayed during an installation procedure (I've
often regretted afterwards to have not read completely the ReadMe files
for the TeX i-Package during installation, it would have avoided asking
senseless questions to the OS X TeX list); in such cases it's nice to
have the ReadMe file saved somewhere, for further reference and study.

- Prepare man pages for XeTeX, mentioning the (default) location for
the documentation and samples. It's true people not familiar with Unix
won't think of "xetex -help" or "xdv2pdf -h" from the command line, and
similarly for "man xetex" or "man xdv2pdf". On the other hand, GUIs for
man pages are getting increasingly common, such as ManOpen
<http://www.clindberg.org/projects/ManOpen.html> (my favorite), VuMan
<http://www.wordtech-software.com/vuman.html> (from Kevin Walzer, an
occasional poster to the OS X TeX list), and probably others; Xcode has
also a menu item "Help > Open man page..." for pretty-displaying man
pages.

As to the default doc and samples location, I still would favour
someplace inside /Library/Documentation/. Looking more thoroughly
inside this directory, there appears to be at least three standard
subdirectories:

/Library/Documentation/Commands
/Library/Documentation/Help
/Library/Documentation/Libraries

The second one is a place for putting help files for the OS X Help
Viewer, but the other two seem to be places for putting documentation
(apparently in HTML form) for various Unix utilities (grep, gzip, etc.)
and libraries (libiconv) without, I think, Apple referring to it
elsewhere.

But then there's another problem: samples, such as those for XeTeX,
which are supposed to be processed, possibly modified and/or used as
templates, should probably not reside inside the "local" (in OS X
jargon) file system, ie inside /Library, and instead they should reside
inside each user's file system, ie inside ~/Library. This is quite
natural for a GUI application such as TeXShop, which stores its
templates etc. inside the application bundle and upon first launch by a
user installs a copy in a directory ~/Library/TeXShop. Other GUI
applications, such as Keynote 1, put their templates inside
/Library/Application Support (for Keynote 2 it's inside the application
bundle, apparently), and offer menu items IIRC for using these
templates without having to modify the original template files. Then,
what to do for XeTeX which isn't GUI?

Just some more random thoughts.

Bruno Voisin