[XeTeX] Fink's xetex 3.0-1, fontmap psfonts.map not found

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 22 23:29:55 CEST 2005

On 22 Jun 2005, at 2:25 pm, Steffen Prohaska wrote:

> Hello,
> I upgraded to Fink's xetex 3.0-1 and have problems getting xetex
> running again.
>
> Xetex complains about a missing psfonts.map file:
>     *** fontmap psfonts.map not found; texmf.cnf may be broken
>
> But kpsewhich locates one (at a rather unusual location):
>     >kpsewhich psfonts.map
>     /sw/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
>
> Any ideas?

Does "kpsewhich -progname=xetex psfonts.map" find the same file?

Actually, that message is coming from xdv2pdf rather than from xetex
itself; it's possible that the search paths don't always match.

I think the relevant entry in texmf.cnf is TEXCONFIG; you could
examine your .cnf file(s) to see if the settings look sensible.

I'm afraid I probably can't be of much help with configuration issues
under Fink; I wasn't even aware that there was a Fink package for
xetex! It's pretty clear that there is some kind of search path
problem, but I don't know what the root of it would be. The best
source of help is probably whoever produced that distribution package.

> BTW,
> I read through the thread about utf-8 encoding of hyphenation and
> url.sty. I managed to create utf-8 versions and placed them in
> texmf-local. The following files need change before 'texhash ;
> fmtutil --byfmt xelatex' successfully generated a format file.
>     /sw/share/texmf-local/tex/generic/hyphen/gahyph.tex
>     /sw/share/texmf-local/tex/generic/hyphen/huhyphn.tex
>     /sw/share/texmf-local/tex/generic/hyphen/srhyphc.tex
>     /sw/share/texmf-local/tex/generic/ukrhyph/ukrhypmp.tex
>     /sw/share/texmf-local/tex/latex/url/url.sty

I'm not surprised by this. XeTeX can't normally read some of the
standard hyphenation files that contain 8-bit characters in Latin1 or
other encodings, as it tries to interpret the bytes as UTF-8 and
they're not valid. The main XeTeX distribution installs modified
versions of several of these files, but if you're installing in some
other way then you may not be getting these.