[XeTeX] Fink's tetex 3.0-1, fontmap psfonts.map not found

Steffen Prohaska prohaska at zib.de
Thu Jun 23 00:02:40 CEST 2005

Jonathan,
thanks for your quick reply, I was talking about tetex, not xetex,
sorry for the typo.

I CC'd the fink package maintainer of tetex. Dave, you might be
interested. If not, sorry for the noise.

On Jun 22, 2005, at 11:29 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> Hello,
>> I upgraded to Fink's tetex 3.0-1 and have problems getting xetex
>> running again.
>>
>> Xetex complains about a missing psfonts.map file:
>>     *** fontmap psfonts.map not found; texmf.cnf may be broken
>>
>> But kpsewhich locates one (at a rather unusual location):
>>     >kpsewhich psfonts.map
>>     /sw/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Does "kpsewhich -progname=xetex psfonts.map" find the same file?

 >kpsewhich -progname=xetex psfonts.map
/sw/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map

> Actually, that message is coming from xdv2pdf rather than from xetex
> itself; it's possible that the search paths don't always match.
>
> I think the relevant entry in texmf.cnf is TEXCONFIG; you could
> examine your .cnf file(s) to see if the settings look sensible.

Ok, here come the relevant parts of /sw/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf.
Apparently, it got more complicated with tetex-3.0:

% TEXMFSYSVAR, where texconfig-sys stores variable runtime data.
% With teTeX-3.0 or later, this must be set.
% For sharing this tree with $TEXMFMAIN:
%   TEXMFSYSVAR = $TEXMFMAIN
% For using a separate tree:
%   TEXMFSYSVAR = /sw/share/texmf-var
TEXMFSYSVAR = /sw/var/lib/texmf

[...]

% Now, list all the texmf trees. If you have multiple trees you can
% use shell brace notation, like this:
%   TEXMF = {$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
% The braces are necessary.
%
% For texconfig to work properly, TEXMFCONGIG and TEXMFVAR should be
named
% explicitly and before all other trees.
TEXMF =
{!!$TEXMFCONFIG,!!$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,
!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFDIST}

[...]

% Dvips' config.* files (this name should not start with `TEX'!).
TEXCONFIG = $TEXMF/dvips//

Seems as if all the expansion is done right,
/sw/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map might be a valid
path.

> I'm afraid I probably can't be of much help with configuration issues
> under Fink; I wasn't even aware that there was a Fink package for
> xetex!

Me neither, sorry for the typo ;) I upgrade tetex.

Just to be sure, I searched the fink package database,
http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/search.php?summary=xetex -- I don't
think there is a fink package of xetex.

I upgraded tetex (!) using fink. And afterwards used the XeTeX.pkg
installer (XeTeX_094a.dmg) to install xetex.

	Steffen

--
Steffen Prohaska <prohaska at zib.de>  <http://www.zib.de/prohaska/>
Zuse Institute Berlin, Takustraße 7, D-14195 Berlin-Dahlem, Germany