[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and jurabib

Tara Andrews chrysaphi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 02:23:41 CEST 2005

In the interests of sparing other people pain...

I am using jurabib for my thesis.  I installed XeTeX on top of the  
TeX installation from fink (which worked fine after I disabled all  
the hyphenation files with non-UTF-8 characters in them.)  So the  
problem reported herein is almost certainly going to strike fink users.

When I first attempted a simple


I got the following error:

! Undefined control sequence.
l.41   \Url at OTnonTT
                     % more for any but cmtt

After pain, cursing, and investigation, I found that there were two  
url.sty files installed; both of them were identical.  I also found  
that they are encoded in Windows Latin.  This, er, could be a problem.

I converted url.sty to UTF-8 (via bbedit) and it all works now.   
However, I have no idea if the math symbols (which is what url.sty  
was using non-ASCII for) will do whatever they are supposed to do.

My converted file is at http://www.eccentricity.org/~tla/url.sty .   
For humanists who can live without math symbols, this should .  If  
you are a mathematician who knows what these characters in url.sty  
are for, I'd be interested to know if this file still works for that.


More information about the XeTeX mailing list