[XeTeX] Chinese: vertical typsetting, pinyin tones, and Japanese macrons?

Cyril cyril.niklaus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 08:13:26 CEST 2005

On 15 juil. 05, at 11:45, Roger Hart wrote:

> 2) I don't know if it is my error, but it seems that Japanese
> macrons don't typeset in Latin fonts (I've tried Times and
> Hoefler). For example, when I typeset
>
> kenky~{(1  [kenky\=u in LaTeX]
>
> I lose the bar over the u. If I enclose this in the CJK
> environment, it typesets just fine. But romanizations should,
> ideally at least, be typeset in the Latin font (e.g., Times or
> Hoefler), not in the font that is being used for CJK (e.g., Simsun
> Founder Extended), which may, depending on the font, have pretty
> ugly Latin characters.
>
> 3) Also, the pinyin romanization system, the official system of
> China, and increasingly the system of choice for academics
> worldwide, places tone markers over syllables. Ideally, this should
> look like the following, from http://www.namkung.com/zev/
> TimesPinyin.html

I haven't used vertical typesetting, so I'm of no help here, but for
the diacritics, you just need to input them as unicode in your text
and it works fine. You might want to take a look at the Character
Palette in case you don't know how to input them, it often comes in
handy. What I did is to make a document with all the "unsual"
characters I use, and from there copy-paste.

Here your sample (notice that the combining diacritical marks are not
available in Hoefler, so I used times, which you mentioned as well.

%&program=xelatex
%&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}