[XeTeX] No 'Number Case' in 'Hoefler Text Regular'?

Berteun Damman berteun at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 12:28:41 CEST 2005

I just have a new Powerbook, and was looking into TeX for the Mac and
I stumbled upon XeTeX -- I must say, I like it a lot. Knowing
primarily LaTeX, I soon found fontspec. First I found 1.6 and tried
that, and tried the example with 'Hoefler Text' and Uppercase
numerals, alas, it did not work.

I tried upgrading fontspec 1.7, and I noticed the example that first
used Hoefler Text now uses Didot. That one works. After investigating
some more, I found out that the bold variant of Hoefler text *does*
work, i.e. by adding {\bf ..} around the numerals, I get the lining
numerals that I expected -- but bold. (The green colour disappears
however). Then I found the typography feature in Text Edit, and
indeed, it does not give the option 'Number Case' for the regular
version of Hoefler Text. It does for Bold and/or Italic.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.1 (Tiger incl. update). Is this some bug that
slipped in later on? Because judging the fontspec 1.6 documentation,
it seemed to have worked. Using Text Edit, I can access the lining
numerals through 'Glyph variants', but as the font does not really
have variant sets (according to the spec), this does not help for
XeLaTeX.

So, is there some huge oversight from my side, or can anyone confirm
my suspicion that there's something wrong with "Hoefler Text",
something that might have worked with 10.3 -- because the fontspec 1.6
doc can use them apparently.

I have tried searching the internet for this, but did not find it.

Berteun