ToUnicode tables, was Re: [XeTeX] fontspec v1.7

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jul 7 11:49:04 CEST 2005

Am 07.07.2005 um 10:40 schrieb Ross Moore:

> Select some of the math symbols, then Copy/Paste into TextEdit
> or other recent editor -- a TeXShop editor window will do.

I've selected all from Preview and pasted it into GNU Emacs: no spaces
between the text words (i.e. BriefArticle), and all glyphs were
translated into \oldstyle{9}, \lambda, etc. It's worth to remember --
and reuse! Citing made easy ... finally.

> Neat huh.
>
> Also, searching works in Preview  (not TeXshop !);
> e.g.  use Apple-F to open the 'Search' panel,
> then search for occurrences of \alpha .
> You should find some --- however, they do *not*
> highlight in the PDF, when you select one of these.

Have you just input `\´ into Preview's search pane?

> None of these nice features work in AR though (version 7.0.1).
> So it's not so clear just who supports the /ToUnicode  tables,
> and in what way.

At least it found all sins, digits, and Latin letters ... Earlier
versions of Abode Reader or Acrobat Reader failed completely. So it
seems to me that these features are part of the progress in PDF
versions ...

Wishful would be, to be able to switch the representation: the TeX
names or the glyphs themselves, depending on what the target to paste
to understands ... or being able to choose α or ⇀ to search for. That's
what cmap tables for the OM? encodings could bring? (Right now they
only support OT1, T1, TS1, and Cyrillic T2.)

--
Greetings

   Pete                           <]
              o        __o         |__    o       HPV, the real
     ___o    /I       -\<,         |o \  -\),-%     high speed!