[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.9 is available

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Feb 24 17:21:40 CET 2005

Le 24 févr. 05, à 16:08, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> After a too-long delay (with too many other things to do!), a new
> release of XeTeX is available for those intrepid folks who'd like to
> try it.
>
> Some highlights of the new release include:
> • moved to TeXLive 2004 codebase (new Web2C and kpathsearch)
> • format files are now .fmt, not .xfmt -- no longer need to patch
> fmtutil

Does this mean one needs to first uninstall the former version with
i-Installer, then reinstall the new one (for removing the now
superfluous .xfmt files - and .otf files as well), or does the
installer take care of everything? I'll try uninstalling first anyway.

> • no longer needs to install special .otf versions of legacy Computer
> Modern and other fonts

Since the web page says this is possible because .pfb files are
converted on the fly, does this mean the .pfb files for the PostScript
fonts in the teTeX distro can be used as well? If yes, I imagine this
would only allow use of the LaTeX2e metrics not relying on virtual
fonts, hence for example LY1 but not T1 or TS1.

Bruno