[XeTeX] Making a .fmt file using XeTeX

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Mon Feb 21 13:26:29 CET 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 4:18 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 19 Feb 2005, at 9:17 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:
>
>> Well, that is the interesting thing -- I did have %&encoding=utf-8 at
>> the top of the file and it didn't seem to do anything. I took the
>> extra step in TeXShop of a 'Save As' making sure that the encoding
>> was utf-8. Still no luck.
>>

> After looking at the encoding options in TeXShop, I think the correct
> incantation to include in the file is
> 	%&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode
> rather than just
> 	%&encoding=utf-8
>
> Don't know if it's case sensitive, but that's the name used in the
> Preferences dialog, and I believe the %&encoding line is supposed to
> use those same names. So that might be why it didn't seem to work.

Success! I changed the '%&encoding=utf-8' to '%&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode'
and the file perl-created file TeXed perfectly, though TeXShop
complained that the file was created with MacOSEncoding when I first
opened it. Opening the file a second time in TeXShop, there was no
complaint.

What I find odd is that TeXShop did not complain about MacOSEncoding
when '%&encoding=utf-8' was at the top of the file but is now
complaining when '%&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode' is.

Still, I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the help!