[XeTeX] Making a .fmt file using XeTeX

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Sat Feb 19 10:57:29 CET 2005

On Saturday, February 19, 2005, at 04:28AM, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:

>On 19 Feb 2005, at 12:21 am, Stephen Moye wrote:
>> So I tried:
>>
>> xetex -ini "&xetex" "*Genealogue.tex"
>>
>> but got this error:
>>
>> 19:02: Genealogy_Folder xetex -ini "&xetex" '*Genealogue.tex'
>> This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.88 (Web2C 7.5.2) (INITEX)
>> entering extended mode
>> ! I can't find file `*Genealogue.tex'.
>> <*> &xetex *Genealogue.tex
>>

>Note that it's looking for a file called "*Genealogue.tex", not
>"Genealogue.tex". This is a clue that although the "*" isn't getting
>interpreted by the shell, it's also not being treated as a special flag
>by xetex. It's not valid to use a "*" here, as you're already loading a
>format file (xetex.xfmt) and so this will already "fix" the
>extended-mode flag.
>
>But for the same reason, it's unnecessary anyway; xetex.xfmt is built
>by default with extended mode enabled (according to the rules in
>fmtutil.cnf). That doesn't change when you load additional macros on
>top of the existing format.

Thanks for that -- thought I was going crazy. I'm getting further now,
but with:

xetex -ini "&xetex" Genealogue.tex

I'm getting this error:

! Can't \dump a format with preloaded native fonts.
<*> &xetex Genealogue.tex

?

In fact, a .xfmt file does appear, but it is suspiciously small,
around 960k whereas a small test.tex file (which ran
successfully) ended up being 995k.

Thanks for your help -- much appreciated!