[XeTeX] Making a .fmt file using XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Feb 19 10:27:40 CET 2005

On 19 Feb 2005, at 12:21 am, Stephen Moye wrote:
> So I tried:
>
> xetex -ini "&xetex" "*Genealogue.tex"
>
> but got this error:
>
> 19:02: Genealogy_Folder xetex -ini "&xetex" '*Genealogue.tex'
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.88 (Web2C 7.5.2) (INITEX)
> entering extended mode
> ! I can't find file `*Genealogue.tex'.
> <*> &xetex *Genealogue.tex

Note that it's looking for a file called "*Genealogue.tex", not
"Genealogue.tex". This is a clue that although the "*" isn't getting
interpreted by the shell, it's also not being treated as a special flag
by xetex. It's not valid to use a "*" here, as you're already loading a
format file (xetex.xfmt) and so this will already "fix" the
extended-mode flag.

But for the same reason, it's unnecessary anyway; xetex.xfmt is built
by default with extended mode enabled (according to the rules in
fmtutil.cnf). That doesn't change when you load additional macros on
top of the existing format.