[XeTeX] fontspec in TUGboat

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sun Dec 18 03:59:14 CET 2005

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your careful proof-reading -- I'll be fixing things
up tonight, and improving the areas of confusion that you raised.
With regards to one specific question of yours,

> Which TeX format did you choose to write the article? How can the
> article be integrated into TUGboat? Including micro-typographic
> features too ...

The article is written with the ltugboat class in pdfTeX/LaTeX.
I wrote an environment with fancyvrb that saves the verbatim examples
to external files, while at the same time adding a line to a batch
file that will execute XeTeX/LaTeX on each individual file and crop
it to the right size.

So the process goes LaTeX, `bash typeset-examples.sh`, LaTeX, and
everything is performed automatically. I'm happy to publish the style
file (in fact, I'd like to make a more general package for CTAN) if
anyone's interested.

If the article is processed with XeTeX/LaTeX, the articles are
typeset directly, but you lose out on microtype, which is very
helpful in reducing overfull boxes due to the narrow columns...

All the best,

Will