[XeTeX] OT: Typography: Any recommendations for a good read?

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Sat Dec 10 14:04:15 CET 2005

Bernd wrote:
> Christmas break is about to begin, and I'm eager to get some insight
> into typography, the art behind TeX. I like to read TugBoat but it's
> rather a collection of good articles, I'd prefer a well written book
> to get a thorough introduction. Can anybody recommend anything for me?
If you haven't yet, I thoroughly recommend starting with "The Elements
of Typographic Style" by Robert Bringhurst. It's one of the best books
about typography available, and it's written in a beautiful way. Next,
I'd go with Erik Spiekermann's "Über Schrift" (in English: "Stop
Stealing Sheep and Find Out How Type Works"). And then, I'd read "Erste
Hilfe in Typografie" by Hans Peter Willberg and Friedrich Forssman. It's
a fantastically designed book. These three together should give you the
best possible overview on typography in a broad perspective.

And if you're not satisfied, I'd invest in "Die [neue] Lesetypografie"
by the same Hans Peter Willberg and Friedrich Forssman, and
"Detailtypografie" by Friedrich Forssman and Ralf de Jong. These two
together make up true Bibles of German-language typography. They're
great to watch and to refer to -- they're more of an encyclopedic style,
meticulously crafted.

Regards,
Adam Twardoch

--