[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Apr 2 21:48:20 CEST 2005

On 2 Apr 2005, at 2:14 pm, Yves Codet wrote:

> Hello Jonathan.
> I've just tried with the file I had sent and it works fine. The "TeX 
> capacity exceeded" issue occurred with another file (attached below), 
> in which there are no paragraphs. Maybe TeX doesn't like very long 
> lines.

Yes, that would be the problem. The whole document is a single 
paragraph to TeX, which means it'll be trying to find globally optimal 
line-breaks over the entire thing. And with OpenType fonts in XeTeX, 
and with finding hyphenation points as well, that becomes pretty 
memory-intensive. You could try increasing main_memory and/or 
extra_mem_bot in texmf.cnf, but I'd suggest that a few paragraph breaks 
are in order.

Actually, Exercise 14.15 in The TeXbook offers a workaround for this 
the remedy is to insert ‘{\parfillskip=0pt\par\parskip=0pt\noindent}’ 
in random places, after each 50 lines or so of text. (Every space 
between words is usually a feasible breakpoint, when you get 
sufficiently far from the beginning of a paragraph.)

As your document doesn't even have line breaks, make that "after every 
few thousand characters" and you should be fine. You might want to 
include line-breaks in the source, too.... try to put a sufficiently 
long document all on a single line and you'll overflow the input buffer 
size, though it looks like you're a long way from that yet.


More information about the XeTeX mailing list