[XeTeX] Version 0.87 released

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Sep 27 15:32:30 CEST 2004

On 27 Sep 2004, at 7:07 am, Christopher Creutzig wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Not quite: I don't have a way to embed arbitrary PDF code.
>
>  It may be a sign of my extremely limited knowledge of pdf, but: Why
> not?  What stops the dvx2pdf converter from "simply" passing through
> all specials starting with "pdf:"?

Because xdv2pdf doesn't directly generate the PDF output. It renders
the document by drawing in a CoreGraphics (Quartz2D) context with a PDF
destination, but the actual PDF generation is done by the OS X
CoreGraphics subsystem. And CG doesn't offer APIs to insert arbitrary
PDF fragments into the generated stream.

Jonathan