[XeTeX] Old Persian

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Sep 11 18:27:41 CEST 2004

On 11 Sep 2004, at 3:01 pm, Yves Codet wrote:

> Le 11 sept. 04, à 12:39, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>

>> I wouldn't recommend KeyLayoutMaker for this job--first, because it
>> doesn't currently support sequence output or non-Plane 0 characters
>> (sorry; that wouldn't be a particularly difficult enhancement,
>> though); and second, because its focus is on layouts with large
>> numbers of dead-key sequences, such as the Ethiopic or Cree examples.
>> So I think it will generate a dead-key state for every keystroke
>> that's used in the input, even though in this case they're
>> unnecessary.
>
> Hello Jonathan.
>
> My example was not good. Cypriot syllabary has five single vowels but
> the rest is a series of syllables: ka, ke, ki, ko, ku... So it would
> be more natural to input them as you did for Cree, rather than
> associate them with arbitrary keys. Otherwise Ukelele is indeed a nice
> tool and I used it for ancient Greek and Sanskrit; existing key
> layouts were not very handy with an AZERTY keyboard (peculiarity has
> its drawbacks).

OK; sorry about that. I'm not familiar with Cypriot and I didn't look
it up.

I've posted an updated version of the KeyLayoutMaker script that I
think should handle supplementary-plane characters. (I've included a
Cypriot.keystrokes file in the archive, but I haven't really tested the
resulting keylayout file.) See:

	http://scripts.sil.org/keylayoutmaker

Please let me know if this works correctly for you; I consider it
something of a "quick hack", but hope it can be useful.

Jonathan