[XeTeX] Old Persian

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Sat Sep 11 16:01:38 CEST 2004

Le 11 sept. 04, à 12:39, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> I wouldn't recommend KeyLayoutMaker for this job--first, because it
> doesn't currently support sequence output or non-Plane 0 characters
> (sorry; that wouldn't be a particularly difficult enhancement,
> though); and second, because its focus is on layouts with large
> numbers of dead-key sequences, such as the Ethiopic or Cree examples.
> So I think it will generate a dead-key state for every keystroke
> that's used in the input, even though in this case they're
> unnecessary.

Hello Jonathan.

My example was not good. Cypriot syllabary has five single vowels but
the rest is a series of syllables: ka, ke, ki, ko, ku... So it would be
more natural to input them as you did for Cree, rather than associate
them with arbitrary keys. Otherwise Ukelele is indeed a nice tool and I
used it for ancient Greek and Sanskrit; existing key layouts were not
very handy with an AZERTY keyboard (peculiarity has its drawbacks).

> If I get a chance, I may look at extending KeyLayoutMaker to deal with
> these issues. (For that matter, it's just a Perl script, anyone is
> welcome to take a look and contribute improvements!)

My knowledge of Perl doesn't go much farther than "s/x/y/g;" I'm afraid
I can't help.

Best wishes,

Yves