[XeTeX] fontspec v1.1

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Oct 19 08:53:03 CEST 2004

Le 19 oct. 04, à 08:39, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 19 oct. 04, à 04:37, Will Robertson a écrit :
>
>> Perhaps XU or XUCS would be a better idea --- "XeTeX Unicode", or
>> something along those lines. Whom does one consult when creating new
>> encoding names?
>
> There's the new [UTF8] option of {inputenc}, but I couldn't find it
> documented inside
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/base/inputenc.dvi (I'm
> all speaking of TL2004, Gerben's new experimental setup still in beta
> test). Looking inside
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base you find files
> ot2enc.dfu, t2{a,b,c}enc.dfu, x2enc.dfu connected with UTF-8 encoding,
> but I couldn't find inside utf8.def how their names are generated when
> calling them, what relations the names OT2, T2 and X2 exactly bear to
> UTF-8.
>
> So in summary I don't know which encoding name, if any, is supposed to
> be associated with UTF-8 in standard LaTeX.

Silly me! It's fontenc of course, not inputenc, and it's documented
inside fntguide.dvi, and all *2 encodings, like OT2, T2 and X2, are for
cyrillic. So UTF8 seems to be the name for UTF-8 fonts. XU looks like a
logical choice for XeTeX Unicode, especially since Jonathan mentioned
repeatedly that XeTeX isn't limited to the UTF-8 subset of Unicode. But
could it create confusion with XUL?

Bruno