[XeTeX] fontspec v1.1

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Oct 19 10:05:14 CEST 2004

On 19 Oct 2004, at 8:01 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2004, at 4:21 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> Why the "X"? The encoding is just Unicode, not "XeTeX Unicode".
>
> Sure, but the interface to the fonts is XeTeX. Or is that irrelevant?

In my (non-LaTeX-oriented) mind, that's irrelevant to what the encoding
is.

It could be considered relevant to the font selection stuff (e.g., the
fontspec package). So my suggestions, from what I've heard so far,
would be:

	font encoding: UCS or UNICODE
	fontspec package: xfontspec

I don't like x-fontspec because I associate such prefixes with things
like "private extensions" in XML namespaces, language tags, etc., and
it's not really like that. Plain "fontspec" would be fine too, but
"xfontspec" does associate nicely with xelatex ... but could also be
interpreted as "extended" font specification, if some day it's more
widely applicable.