[XeTeX] fontspec v1.1

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 18 09:36:25 CEST 2004

Le 18 oct. 04, à 09:05, Will Robertson a écrit :

> On 18 Oct 2004, at 4:15 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> One remark: I noticed the file osxenc.def is missing, and is not
>> included in fontspec.dtx, is this on purpose?
>
> Uh, I haven't got around to bundling all the files into a single dtx
> (be kind, it's my first time!). But I guess that would be a good idea,
> as well as including the .fd files for CM in the OSX encoding.
>
> At the moment I'm just recommending people download the osx encoding
> files separately.
>
> On a slightly related note, I'm a little unhappy with recommending
> everyone puts their XeTeX files in ~/Library/texmf/tex/xetex/ ---
> after all, shouldn't ~/Library/texmf/xetex/ be the better place? I'd
> kind of like to sort this out once and for all.
>
> Also, *if* we're going to keep using this encoding, we really need to
> get permission from or tell those people who seem to organise all of
> this. Sebastian Rahtz or someone?

Will,

I'm sorry I've not had time to help with your fantastic package. I just
looked at it, and at the doc, without installing. None of what I said
was criticism, in any case. Same for the following two remarks:

- I am a bit surprised by the need to create a specific OSX encoding,
but that's mostly because I did not look at the issue into detail;

- I would have thought about a name indicating explicitly the Mac OS X
specificity of the package, like osxfont.sty, or even xfont.sty
(XeTeX-specific versions of standard TeX concepts seem to be prefaced
by "x", like .xfmt and xplain.tex), instead of fontspec.sty.

About the location: I think /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/ would be
better than ~/Library/texmf/. We've seen recently the havoc than can
result from people putting additions inside ~/Library/texmf/, which
become then inaccessible to installer packages and take over any
addition by these packages.

Currently, the XeTeX installer (either Apple's own or Gerben's
i-Installer) puts XeTeX-specific stuff (apart from the binaries and
formats) inside:

- /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xetex/ for plain TeX and LaTeX
additions;

- /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/xetex/ for other additions (Perl
scripts).

Hence I would have thought putting additional packages inside
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xetex/, possibly creating
subfolders inside it. For example I put:

- my custom color.cfg and graphics.cfg inside
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/xetex/config/;

- Ross' utf8accents.sty and its doc utftest.tex inside
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/xetex/utf8syms/.

The TDS would probably have recommendations about such stuff, I don't
know what's the current state of affairs.

Best of luck,

Bruno