[XeTeX] Package for font loading

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sun Oct 17 04:46:14 CEST 2004

William F. Adams wrote:
> I've been really swamped at work, and only now getting a chance to read
> up on, d/l and look at the latest flurry of developments.
>
> I did want to make a couple of quick comments / observations
>
>  - Will Robertson's ``typespec'' package name --- I'm afraid that that
> name is already used on CTAN for Stephen Moye's wonderful type specimen
> package, so probably the name should be changed

How embarrassing! I really should have checked that out :(

> --- I'd suggest padding
> it out to typespecification,
> or perhaps changing it to ``typesystem'' or
> ``xtype''

Since typespec already exists, I'm a little leery of typespecification.
How about "fontspec"? That has all the same connotations to my mind, and
I like having the same name for the package and the command.

> or maybe ``ts4otaat'' (Type Specification System for OpenType
> and Apple Advanced Typography''

:)
How about "wp4cfxl" - will's package for choosing fonts in xetex-based
latex?

>> I've chosen "\romanfont", "\sansfont", "\monofont" for now, but they
>> only -imply- that they are setting the default font for that style.
>> I'm fairly happy with them, but I thought I'd see if anyone had some
>> better ideas than me.
>>
>> Maybe "\setromanfont", etc., would be better?
>

> I like the declarative ``setromanfont'' form better myself.

Yes, I think I agree.

> Will, you _really_ should write up an article for TUGboat once you've
> got these packages stabilized. Barbara Beeton (and Wendy McKay) and a
> lot of others would be thrilled (just as we're all thrilled to find that
> you and Jan have done so much for all of us, building on Jonathan's
> fabulous work)

I might have to write a "real" paper in the meantime (you know, work and
stuff :), but after that, I'd love to put something together. I'm been
meaning to become a TUG member for a while now...

Regards,
Other Will