[XeTeX] Re: XeTeX & Unicode vs. standard LaTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Oct 11 18:06:37 CEST 2004

On 11 Oct 2004, at 4:53 pm, Jon Breitenbucher wrote:

> How will this allow one to handle things like swash small caps or
> italic small caps?
>
> Right now I am defining my own shapes in the fd files for italic small
> caps (is), swash small caps (ss), and slanted small caps (ls). I've
> been trying to put together fd files for the more popular and useful
> fonts in the Adobe Type Classics collection, and just sent most of
> what I have to Will. So I'm curious as to how this will fit with that
> work?

For richer font families, you'll probably still want to write custom
.fd files; this is intended to provide a minimal-effort way for naive
users to be able to make use of the basic styles of whatever fonts they
may have installed, but if you want more typographic sophistication
you'll still need to do more setup work.

Actually, the \NewOSXFontFamily macro I've written as a starting point
does check to see if the given font has either an OpenType or AAT small
caps feature available, and if so, it defines the sc shape in addition
to bold and italic. You could extend it to look for additional options
in the same way; it's largely a question of (a) deciding which options
are widespread enough to be worth trying to automate, and (b) settling
the family/shape naming questions.

JK

(I'm hoping to get the new release out tomorrow, btw, so you folks can
actually try this! Been struggling with some machine issues here
today...)