[XeTeX] Re: XeTeX & Unicode vs. standard LaTeX

Jon Breitenbucher kahless at mac.com
Mon Oct 11 17:53:46 CEST 2004

How will this allow one to handle things like swash small caps or
italic small caps?

Right now I am defining my own shapes in the fd files for italic small
caps (is), swash small caps (ss), and slanted small caps (ls). I've
been trying to put together fd files for the more popular and useful
fonts in the Adobe Type Classics collection, and just sent most of what
I have to Will. So I'm curious as to how this will fit with that work?

On Oct 11, 2004, at 3:05 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 11 Oct 2004, at 12:13 am, Will Robertson wrote:
>

>> On 11 Oct 2004, at 7:59 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>>
>>> The new version will also offer the ability to load the bold and
>>> italic faces of a font without prior knowledge of their exact names,
>>> making it possible to write truly "generic" font-family-loading
>>> macros for simple families. Thus, for example, I've written a
>>> \NewOSXFontFamily macro such that:
>>>   \NewOSXFontFamily{palatino}{Palatino}
>>>   \NewOSXFontFamily{times}{Times Roman}
>>> can be used to set up all four faces of these families for LaTeX,
>>> despite the different naming patterns. Hope this will please the
>>> folks looking for "simplified" font management! (Complex cases with
>>> many different weights, etc., will still require additional .fd
>>> files to access all the possibilities.)
>>
>> This is very exciting.
>> Since this is a LaTeX-only feature, it might be a good idea to name
>> the command \NewLaTeXOSXFontFamily or some-such.
>
> I wouldn't have thought there's any need for this, as it will be
> defined in a LaTeX .sty file or something like that; non-LaTeX users
> won't encounter it. (I'll provide an example macro, and leave you
> LaTeX people to figure out exactly how you want to integrate it with
> the other stuff you're doing for font management.)
>
> The XeTeX extension underlying this macro is that you can simply add
> /B or /I or /BI to a font name, to ask XeTeX to load what Mac OS X
> considers to be the styled variant of the given font. And you can
> examine \fontname of the resulting TeX font to discover whether you
> actually got something different from the regular face. Thus,
> 	\font\x = "Times Roman/BI"
> 	\fontname\x
> will give you "Times Bold Italic", while
> 	\font\x = "New York/I"
> 	\fontname\x
> will simply be "New York", as there is no italic face of NY.
>
> JK

Physics is much too hard for physicists. (David Hilbert)

Jon Breitenbucher
The College of Wooster
308 E. University
Wooster, Ohio 44691